Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Original Bree Scene Discovered!


As I mentioned in the previous post, I did some spring cleaning today. Another thing I found were some handwritten scenes from Purgatory Comics, including the scene below (which I just typed up for the first time). This scene was the original Evan fantasy segment that would later become the infamous Bree Olson scene. As you'll see, originally the scene went in a much different direction, but ended exactly the same.

iNT. bedroom - night
BREE, in a sexy nightie, screams as she stands by her bed.
bree
Won’t somebody come and save me?
EVAN (OC)
I’ll save you!
Over by the open window, a mysterious costumed figure tries to enter. It’s Evan in a superhero suit complete with cape. He stumbles as he tries to climb in, until he eventually falls back outside completely.
Bree watches in awe. Suddenly there’s a knock on her bedroom door.
bree
Come in?
The door flings open. Evan enters with leaves and twigs stuck to his costume.
evan
Hey.
bree
Who are you?
evan
I’m Evan-is-the-Man Man. I have the power of awesome. And I have a red cape. What’s the problem ma’am?
bree
Well I was sleeping, and suddenly I felt a spider on me! I don’t know where it went! It could still be somewhere crawling on my hot, perfect body.
evan
Then I’d better check with my x-ray vision.
Beams come out of his eyes and hit her body, causing her clothes to somehow completely vanish.
evan
Whoops. Haven’t perfected this power yet—
They awkwardly stare at each other.
evan
I can keep this up all night.
bree
I guess I should at least dance then.
She snaps her fingers and sexy music begins playing. She dances around Evan.
evan
This is why I’m awesome.
bree
You have to dance too!
evan
Oh, sorry.
He poorly dances next to her.

There were a few reasons I had to ditch this original concept. One, the schedule just wasn't working out for a night shoot - so I had to write a new scene that took place during the day. And two, I wanted a slightly longer scene that was more centered around Bree . . . and something that gave her a chance to be the center of the humor rather than Evan. 

Also of note: I found this scene scribbled in a Blue's Clues notepad. Yup.

No comments: