Monday, January 19, 2015

Halina Rough Cut Done!

The first cut of Halina is finished, and it clocks in at about 29 minutes, 30 seconds (without end credits). Going by the screenwriting rule that one page should equal one minute of screen time, it shouldn't be a surprise that a 30-page script became a 30 minute film . . . but for some reason it's always a shock when this works.

The end credits won't be long, but they will be a couple of minutes. Now, me having a bit of OCD, I'm going to want the finished film to be 30 minutes or maybe slightly shorter . . . so I may have to tighten some things up or outright delete some lines for time. But fear not, I won't delete for the sake of deleting; there are some legit sections I'd like to smooth out a little more.

I should mention a slight upcoming delay that will come from me breaking apart my editing suite and putting it back together for a move - hopefully it doesn't slow things down too much.

Thoughts on first cut: holy crap this thing flies by. I can honestly say this movie feels like it's 10 minutes long. I guess if it leaves you wanting more, it's not such a bad thing.

I leave you now with another track from my Halina inspiration playlist - a cover of the INXS song "Never Tear Us Apart," sung gorgeously by Tashaki Miyaki. My God I wish licensing costs weren't a thing and I could use this for the film's trailer. Stay tuned for more updates!



No comments: