Monday, February 02, 2009

Online Training

I'm known to be a "Jack of all trades, master of none." I know the basics of video editing, graphic design, web design, and related things ... but I really never knew more than enough to get by. The exception is writing; I am a writer. That's my thing. But I would like to be more knowledgeable in the other stuff.

Up until now whenever I needed to learn something, I'd scour youtube for tutorials, or web forums for answers. I decided now to take a web course instead, and I found a really good one at lynda.com. It's not free but I'm trying out a month and today alone I've watched and taken notes on dozens of videos. They have in-depth courses for Photoshop, After Effects, Final Cut, and a LOT more. Right now I'm focused on becoming really kickass at Dreamweaver because all my sites could use much better web pages. The video tutorials are awesome so I recommend this to anyone like me who wants to go beyond knowing the basic stuff for creative programs.

Plus, this: there are a lot of writers who don't know much video/graphical work. There are a lot of graphic people who don't know writing. The people who truly know both are a dime a dozen. In fact I'm not sure I've ever met one person who exels at both. If I could be that person, it would be very good for me.

No comments: