Sunday, June 21, 2009

Coffee House Mix CD

And in the "too much free time" department...yesterday started with me looking online for templates for a new website, and somehow turned into a completely unrelated arts and crafts session. I made a "coffee house" mix CD (acoustic originals and covers), and I thought it would be cool to give it a custom CD case. So, I made one.

Here's the case closed. You wanna know what I did to take this project a little too far? Under that fabric is some real ground coffee bean, to make the CD case smell like coffee. Works well too.

When you open the case, you can see the CD itself is being held in a snap-holder I broke off another case. Course I had to go for a coffee bean label.

It's a trifold! And opening it up reveals the 21-track acoustic style setlist. I admit I kinda rushed through this last part but still, it came out kinda cool. Here's the setlist (links will open itunes):

1. Brand New Day - Joshua Radin
2. Umbrella - MariƩ Digby
3. When the Stars Go Blue - Ryan Adams
4. Cannonball - Damien Rice
5. These Words - The Walls
6. Down Under - Colin Hay
7. Quiet Town - Josh Rouse
8. Take Five - Dave Brubeck
9. Dancing Queen - Luka Bloom
10. Falling In Love At a Coffee Shop - Landon Pigg
11. The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
12. Good People - Jack Johnson
13. Toxic - Juliet Turner
14. Gagging Order - Radiohead
15. 1, 2, 3, 4 - Plain White T's
16. All the Right Reasons - Jayhawks
17. Put Your Records On (Acoustic) - Corinne Bailey Rae
18. Hey Ya - Matt Weddle
19. Near You Always - Jewel
20. Hold You In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne
21. You're the World to Me - David Gray

My itunes "coffee house" playlist (inspired by the XM station of the same name) has over 400 songs, so it was hard to widdle that down to 21 for a CD. But the whole is greater than the sum of the parts here; that is to say a lot of attention went into the order and how they blend together. Plus I sprinkled in a few tracks of sentimental value to me, making this a strong CD for me personally. Maybe you'd like it too.

No comments: