Monday, July 23, 2012

Grouplove @ The Studio at Webster Hall 7/23/12


Last week on a complete whim I entered a contest being held by Alt Nation on Sirius XM for a private performance by Grouplove, my favorite band to emerge in the last couple of years. To my complete surprise, I actually won! So now, for the first time since 2009, I'm doing a concert summary post.


I was in Brooklyn earlier in the day for a TV shoot, so I wound up getting to Webster Hall way early. As a result, I was first in line to get in (I think I read there were only about 200 in the audience). I stood right in front of the center stage, which is how I managed to take such amazing photos and videos on my iPhone.


I got a double high-five from Hannah Hooper as the band took the stage, and the band went right into their set. It was INCREDIBLE. The energy was high and you could tell they were really having a lot of fun. Hannah - who's flippin' gorgeous in person - had this infectious energy that really got the audience going. Every one in the band at some point had a moment in the spotlight, whether it be by taking lead vocals, or playing glow-in-the-dark drumsticks.


The pleasant surprise of the night was the rock cover of Whitney Houston's "Wanna Dance With Somebody." Of course they played their debut album, and they also did a little new material for us. As the band left the stage I got another high five from Hannah, and also a handshake from Christian Zucconi.

Usually right about here is where I type up the setlist . . . but as he left the stage, Christian tossed his copy to me. So, here's the setlist:


Finally, the grand finale of this post: a youtube vid from SiriusXM featuring their recording of "Tongue Tied" and the cover of "I Wanna Dance with Somebody." I also recorded this with my iPhone but I figured I'd post this video with the good sound quality as opposed to my super-loud over-modulated video.



No comments: