Sunday, July 17, 2011

Turning a Page

I was digging through old backup CDs today in search of something from years ago, and I stumbled upon a very early draft of Purgatory Comics, titled "Turning a Page." This clearly pre-dates the original working title "Bagged and Boarded." This draft of the script was when Cola was a guy named Cole, which I've mentioned before on this blog. Other than the gender switch, a lot of scenes and elements remained the same. However there is one scene that was cut entirely, and I'd like to share it.

Forgive how Blogger will butcher the format a little. This is a very early scene in the script. In fact it's scene 2, and the first scene after the beginning credits.

ext. SUBURBAN HOME - day – “THREE months later”

A beautiful day greets a quiet, welcoming home.

inside the basement

The room is filled with cardboard boxes of all shapes and sizes.

MRS. ROGERS enters. She is an older, motherly figure.

mrs. Rogers

Cole? Are you home?

She looks around but finds no signs of life.

The woman steps toward a larger box and feels it to judge its firmness. She has a seat on the top. The box immediately caves in and Cole shouts. She falls into the box, on top of her son.

The mother is frightened. She bats at him as she struggles to stand.

mrs. rogers

(shoutng)

Ahhh! Jesus cart-wheeling Christ!

cole

Mom! Mom! It’s me! It’s Cole!

mrs. rogers

Huh?

cole

Cole!

mrs. rogers

Cole?

She stands and tries to catch her breath.

Cole emerges from the box.

cole

What are you doing? You never come down here!

mrs.rogers

What the hell are you doing in that box?

cole

I needed a place to sleep. I never bothered putting my bed back together.

mrs. rogers

It’s been three months. Are you going to unpack or are you going to move back out? Huh? Which one is it?

cole

Ma, I’m not staying, so there’s no point in unpacking.

mrs. rogers

Then when are you leaving?

cole

No rush.

Cole reaches into a nearby box and pulls out a clock.

cole

Shit, I’m late.

mrs. rogers

No cussing in my basement.

cole

I gotta get to the store.

mrs. rogers

Cole, I don’t understand what you’re doing. You had such a nice apartment, and I know you have enough money to stay there a few more months until you got back on your feet.

Cole reaches into another box and pulls out some clothes. He changes into a pair of jeans while he talks.

cole

I told you, ma. I’m trying to stretch out those savings as long as I can.

mrs. Rogers

Here’s an idea. Why not get a new job? I know you needed some time off but like I said, it’s been three months.

cole

Why are you complaining, ma? It’s good for you to have a man around the house. So remember the drill. If anyone calls looking for me, you haven’t seen me.

mrs. rogers

What about Alexis?

cole

I told you a hundred times. She won’t call. I have to get going. I love you.

mrs. rogers

I love you too. And I am glad you’re here. I just—

cole

Thanks. You’re the best.

Cole kisses her on the forehead and rushes out.

cole (OC)

I’ll be home for dinner!

The mother stands amongst the boxes and sighs. She randomly reaches into one and feels around. She pulls out a beer bong.

mrs. rogers

(to beer bong)

What are you?

She scrutinizes it and even goes as far as to put her nose directly on it.


And from there, we go to scene 3 where Cole arrives at the comic book store where Evan is, and the movie continues as you (better) know it.

Obvious reasons why this scene was never shot: I felt it was too blatantly spelling out Cole's situation, whereas I preferred it to be revealed through the course of the film instead. Also I felt like it was pointless to introduce this mother character so early, and then never have her return or mentioned again.

Even the final draft of Purgatory Comics says "Scene 2 - Omit" and then skips to scene 3. The missing second scene went through two more drafts before being cut completely. One was Cole and his mom having this same conversation, but at a breakfast table. The other is Cole in an apartment alone, in the bathroom realizing he was balding. I think an answering machine message was also playing, which is a device I've grown to hate in movies.

Hope you liked it! Or didn't like it. Since I never made it.


No comments: