Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Read Pooya's Story on Living Trans at Advocate.com

On June 26, 2015 - the same day the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriages be treated as equal under law - my actor friend Pooya Mohseni made the difficult decision to come out as trans. I found out about it via her facebook post, but I didn't get the full story until a month later when I read this amazing piece at Advocate.com.

When I saw Pooya's original post, my first thoughts were "That's so cool!" and also "Look at all the support she's getting!" and also - I won't lie - a little bit of "Woohoo I had a transgender person in my film! I'm a progressive filmmaker!"

I was so proud of Pooya for her brave announcement, but I didn't even know what bravery was until I read the article on her and found out her life story. There's nothing I can say to do it justice, and I'll never be able to fully understand the hardships (and true life and death situations) Pooya had to face.

So I'm linking her article here because I think it's a great read, and also because I want to help Pooya get this out to as many people as possible. If you have a few minutes, give her story a read. And check her out in my upcoming short The Burden of Choice, when I get off my ass and finish editing it.

No comments: